Few years ago, non-poets rarely invite Poets to non-poetry events in Nigeria. The art was like the least art and the most placed in the background here. Though it could not be said that Poetry is mainstream entertainment like Music, Comedy, and Movie yet; things have changed.
More Radio/TV shows now feature poetry, more books were published, more poetry festivals were held, and more events are springing up. There seem to be many new Poets and they look good to stay up for a long time. More so, a lot of poets are coming up with new things, they call for at least applause/appreciations if not awards plaques.
This is a call for You to join us to nominate the Poets whom you feel really rocked Nigeria in the outgoing year (2016). Please note that by ‘Rock’, we do not mean the best Poets in Nigeria; we mean those whose impacts were really felt in various categories where Poets/poetry is concerned. The categories we consider for this year are:
a. Page Poet of the year
B. Spoken Word Poet of the year
C. Poetry Promoter of the year
D. Cross over poet of the year
1. If there is any poet you would like to be in your list but he/she is older than 50 years old, please place them in (E) Honorary mention category.
2. This is not a ‘Please nominate me’ thing, kindly nominate Poets based on your conviction alone.
3. Minimum of 15 and maximum of 25 names are required for nominations in each of these categories. Nominations not made in categories (A-D) above will not be counted.
4. Number your nominations, your number '1' will be scored higher than number '10'/'16'/etc.
5. For those who are yet to understand the Cross over category, it is meant for Poets who venture into other arts such as Prose, Drama, Film, Music, Visual arts, etc. Also note that there will be top 10 Poets in each category and there will be eventual Top 5o (who are poets with highest nominations).
6. People who are actually not proven to be Poets will be removed from the list (this excludes those in poetry promotion category).
HOW WE GRADE
Points from nominations will be graded 35% (EGC focused group), 35% (Poets Panel, i.e. People we are sure of their knowledge about Nigerian Poets. Their identity will not be made public), 30% (General nominations) where anybody can nominate. This is important as we desire near 100% accuracy in this survey (we know nobody can get it right 100% though), let us at least do it together and do it better. Poets are please advised not to call for anyone to nominate them; send in your own nominations and let others send your own name on merit.
BELOW ARE SIMPLE THINGS TO CONSIDER WHEN NOMINATING POETS FOR EACH CATEGORY:
1. IMPACT: are the works of these Poets felt by a lot of people in Nigeria?
2. ORIGIN: are these Poets Nigerians?
3. AGE: are these Poets between 1-50 years old?
4. REASON: why are we nominating these Poets?
5. SINCERITY: am I sincere with my nominations or biased?
NOMINATION WINDOW OPENS 9TH NOVEMBER 2016 AND CLOSES 10TH DECEMBER 2016.
To view Top 50 list for past year Click: Top 50 year 2015,
For FAQs on this annual project Click.
Send nominations as body of e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org‘#EGCtop50’ as subject line
FULL PROOF Movie will be on DVD soon