The submissions for BATTLE OF WORDS POETRY SLAM SEASON 1 is nearing close, and many who have already entered for the Slam are hoping to qualify for the finals. But when SHRAF unveiled the list of 6 judges for the Slam it was obvious that the organization wants to make a massive impression and “kill them hard”, with the caliber of Poets on the list.
See the judges below (in no particular order), you will understand why:
1. ADEYEYE OLUMUYIWA: He once served as the Public Relations Officer, Vice President and President of English Student Union of Lagos State University (LASU) Anthony campus. He is presently serving as the Secretary General (National) of All Nigeria Conference of Evangelical Drama Ministers (ANCEDRAM). He has written, directed and produced several Stage Drama Productions, which includes: ‘Towards the mark’, ‘The master’s plan’, ‘Mirage’ and others. He has also featured in several Stage productions like ‘True light’, ‘in a time like this’, ‘died for nothing’ and many more. He also featured in some Christian movies like ‘Ogun ajogunba’, ‘Subtle foxes’, ‘Ipinle mi’, ‘Bio tie gbami’ and many more. A lover of poetry, who writes on daily basis, he will likely be looking more at dramatic presentation of the Slam finalists.
2. THE ENIGMATIC, OLUMIDE BISIRIYU: He is a Writer, Spoken Word Poet, and Actor. Though he started writing poems sometime around 1994, his works in Spoken word poetry started sometime in year 2005 when he began performing at shows. Enigmatic coordinates various online activities such as #EGCtop50 Poets who rock Nigeria annually, and annual 31 Days of poetry, with his EGC media. He has been featured in several online and real-time poetry anthologies. His film, FULL PROOF was the first film with spiritual undertone that boxing will be used to drive home a message (cancer awareness) in Nigeria and the first of any kind of film to use Spoken Word as soundtracks. He has since gone to perform in all geopolitical zones of Nigeria, across various major poetry events. He holds his own poetry event, called "Be Blessed", in Ibadan; and #BB as it is fondly called also has an annual Slam edition. He will likely be bringing his experience as a spoken word poet and Slam judge to the table.
3. IFEANYI BERNARD, PRESTIGE: Ifeanyi Bernard, also known as 'Prestige' is a spoken word Artiste, a teacher. He started experimenting and expounding his spoken word skills in 2013, by participating in poetry slams as a swordsmith and as a judge. From "The Truth" to "I'm a man" to "Death and Dreams", Ifeanyi Bernard has performed one explosive poem after another, focusing his theme on the strongest thing in this world, “the truth”. He believes that poetry is a revolution of the mind and is very capable of moving the universe if poets are aroused into action. Prestige was also the winner of the first Be Blessed Poetry Slam in Ibadan few years ago. He will likely be bringing his winning experience to the table for Slammers.
4. OLUMIDE “KING OLULU” HOLLOWAY: Popularly known as King Olulu, a “Poetprenuer”, Spoken Word Poet, Content Producer, Writer, Creative thinker, Concept developer, Business Strategist, Event Manager and Promoter, Fun lover, Dreamer and Doer. He is the founder of War of Words Africa, which is tagged Africa’s biggest poetry show. His burden/ visions are to develop a vibrant poetry industry in Nigeria and Africa, which will allow the attainment of Education, Empowerment, Enlightenment, Expression, Employment, and Entertainment. His War of Words Slam is of repute in Nigeria and has produced very good poets. He will likely be bringing more of what makes “War of Words” thick to the table.
5. CHERRY ENTAFIELD: Her birth name Cherry Amarachi Ozoalor. She is a spoken word poet, a Dentist and a performer. Her writing skills traces back to her father who has a shelf full of handwritten as well as typed poems that never really saw a publishing house. Her debut spoken word performance was in 2007 in front of the assembly ground in her Secondary school during the students-anchored assembly on Fridays. She founded the association “Entafield, University of Ibadan” in 2012. The association hosts “An Evening of Short Stories” annually, where she also invites other artistes to perform poetry. In 2016, she performed at the 30th Anniversary of the West African journal Luncheon, DENTISCOPE before over 1000 audience. She moved to Lagos in 2017 leaving a job as a Dentist in a private clinic to pursue her Spoken Word career. She calls herself the 21st century Genius and a phenomenal lady as her poems are tailored towards Greatness, Love and Patience. She will likely be putting passion first as she performs her duties as a judge.
6. FOLU AGOI: Folu Agoi, is the acting President of PEN Nigeria (Nigerian Centre of PEN International), erstwhile Chairman of Association of Nigerian Authors, ANA, Lagos Branch (March 13, 2004 – October 13, 2007), winner of BBC Poetry Competition (2001) and several other awards – including Prof Wole Soyinka Award for Literature (2007) and Mother Drum Golden Award for Excellence (2012). He is a creative (and academic) writer and poet, on account of which he has travelled around the world – to Europe, America, South Africa, in particular. He is also a literary activist, critic, book editor, publisher and teacher. An adjunct lecturer of English at University of Ibadan (in collaboration with Michael Otedola College of Primary Education) and guest lecturer of Creative Writing and Communication Skills at National Broadcast Academy (formerly Federal Radio Corporation of Nigeria Training School), GRA, Ikeja, Lagos. He has a number of books and other publications to his credit. What he will likely be bringing to the table is glaring, how to write well.
The submissions for the slam ends on 30th June while the slam will take place on the 22nd July, 2017 at 28, Owokoniran Street Surulere, Lagos, with the 10 best poets from the written stage competing for the grand prize by performing the same poem they submitted for the written stage.
The event will have a fusion of music to entertain the guests. Poets such as Beloved, Fr33zinPaul, Tom, Clemency Green, and a host of others will delight the audience with fine Spoken-word Poetry. Multi-Talented, Lagos based comedian and Actor, MC CABAL will be MC of the event.
For more information on this event or to sponsor it, contact Stephen on: +2348163800077 or send a mail to email@example.com