Few years ago, the pain of Nigerian Poets was more of lack of attention than lack of money. Though it’s not that money flows into the bank account of those who express the art right now, it could be said that some still make money from it, i.e. with organizing shows, literary festivals, stage performances, and maybe book/audio sales. With the recent “shitty-Poem” of Nigerian Comedian known as “Lasisi Elenu”, one could arguably confirm that Nigerian Poets have begun to get the attention they crave.
Though lots of Poets felt insulted with the “rubbish” he spewed, some saw the positive angle and used it to launch few ripples. At EGC, we will look at the positive side, and once again, we call for you to join us to nominate the Poets whom you feel really rocked Nigeria in the outgoing year (2018). Please note that by ‘Rock’, we do not mean the best Poets in Nigeria; we mean those whose impacts were really felt in various categories where Poets/poetry is concerned. The categories we consider are:
a. Page Poet of the year
B. Spoken Word Poet of the year
C. Poetry Promoter of the year
D. Cross over poet of the year
1. If there is any poet you would like to be in your list but he/she is older than 50 years old, please place them in (E) Honorary mention category.
2. This is not a ‘Please nominate me’ thing, kindly nominate Poets based on your conviction alone and not because anyone ask you to.
3. Minimum of 10 and maximum of 15 names are required for nominations in each of these categories. Nominations not made in categories (A-D) above will not be counted.
4. Number your nominations, your number '1' will be scored higher than number '10'/'15'/etc.
5. For those who are yet to understand the Cross over category, it is meant for Poets who venture into other arts such as Prose, Drama, Film, Music, Visual arts, etc. Also note that there will be top 10 Poets in each category and there will be eventual Top 5o (who are poets with highest nominations).
6. People who are actually not proven to be Poets will be removed from the list (this excludes those in poetry promotion category).
HOW WE GRADE
Points from nominations will be graded 35% (EGC), 35% (Poets focused group i.e. Poets we are sure of their knowledge about other Nigerian Poets. Their identity will not be made public), 30% (General nominations) where anybody can nominate. This is important as we desire near 100% accuracy in this survey (we know nobody can get it right 100% though), let us at least do it together and do it better.
BELOW ARE SIMPLE THINGS TO CONSIDER WHEN NOMINATING POETS FOR EACH CATEGORY:
1. IMPACT: are the works of these Poets felt by a lot of people in Nigeria?
2. ORIGIN: are these Poets Nigerians?
3. AGE: are these Poets between 1-50 years old?
4. REASON: why are we nominating these Poets?
5. SINCERITY: am I sincere with my nominations or biased?
NOMINATION WINDOW OPENS 18TH NOVEMBER 2018 AND CLOSES 8TH DECEMBER 2018.
Our first call for nominations was made in year 2011, and the first of this annual list was released in first few days of 2012: to view please Click: Top 50 year 2012,
Send nominations as body of e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Use ‘#EGCtop50’ as subject line
And please, give reasons why you are nominating the poets for each category.